Home / INTERVIEWS / Designer's choice
Designer's choiceby Selina Denman on Feb 8, 2011
The Sistine Chapel
“Rome has been the epicentre of art and design for centuries, and the Sistine Chapel has to be one of my all-time favourite interiors. The sheer magnitude of creative genius is an ode to the creative profession.
The interior of the chapel was created by a combination of Renaissance greats such as Michelangelo, Raphael, Botticelli and Bernini, and it is a pure, artistic, visionary design.
The combination of materials creates an authentic design language. The design revolves around the prolific use of art and sculpture in a variety of surreal locations, that, when viewed, leave one in awe of the imagination within the creator’s mind, as well as the impeccable craftsmanship of the artisans – in modern terms, the perfect marriage of designer and contractor.”
- ETA STAR recognised for green Passivhaus project
- Deira City Centre to get $6m redevelopment
- Dewan to design 100,000-unit Basra housing scheme
- Burj Al Arab interior firm bags $80m Saudi deals
- Atkins wins contract for Muscat sports academy
- Trane wins air-con unit university challenge
- Bodies address water-efficiency in building design
- Autodesk teams up to push benefits of BIM in Saudi
- Qatar needs to think beyond 2022, says expert
- Top 5: Dame Zaha Hadid's greatest creations