Top 40 UAE projects from the past 40 yearsby CW Staff on Dec 1, 2011
36. Dubai Marina
Dubai’s Marina is one of the most prestigious areas of the city to live, thanks to the work of two well-known engineering firms.
While Halcrow was appointed as engineers for the Marina itself, Mott MacDonald took on the lead engineer role for the $327m Phase One of the project, including the complete structural and building services design for six residential towers and infrastructure covering a 10 hectare site. Mott MacDonald completed the work for developer Emaar in 2004, and Phase 2 is now well underway.
Developer: Emaar Properties
Engineer: Mott MacDonald
37. Capital District, Abu Dhabi
The Capial District Master Plan provides long-term expansion for the city of Abu Dhabi. Covering 45km2, the masterplan is essentially triangular and sits south east of Abu Dhabi Island.
The area will have a population of arounf 370,000 when completed, and will create 450,000 jobs within its central business district once completed,
Earlier this month (November) it was annouced that tenders for the infrastructure for Package 3 and Package 4 of the Emirati neighbourhoods of the Capital District Development in Abu Dhabi would be issued.
Director Jody Andrews said the Urban Planning Council (UPC) had prioritised these sections of the mixed-use project, which was destined to be the new geographical heart of the capital.
"The geographical work has been 75% completed, design 98% and supporting infrastructure 75%," said Andrews. "Construction has been aggressively targeted over the past 12 months." A total of 42km of roads had been completed over the past eight months in order to facilitate construction.
- Arada launches residential development in Sharjah
- Saudi pledges big projects by year-end
- What Qatar's construction sector needs, not wants
- Will fees rise in the lead-up to the World Cup?
- Projects worth $231m underway at Ibn Battuta Mall
- In Pictures: Top rail projects in the UAE
- Qatar 2022: Tight deadlines may mean more spending
- Marasi homes to be floated from Finland to UAE
- Kuwait to spend $15.6bn on infrastructure
- DM allocates $1.9bn for service projects this year