Second anniversary of Burj Khalifa inaugurationby CW Staff on Jan 2, 2012
Brilliantly draping Burj Khalifa, the world's tallest building, in the colours of the UAE National flag, Dubai ushered in the New Year with a breathtaking display of fireworks that captivated the world.
The centrepiece of Downtown Dubai, the Burj Khalifa was fully illuminated in shimmering white, red and green hues, drawing on the colours of the UAE national flag, through the fireworks display. The celebrations were also a salute to the nation, which celebrated its 40th National Day on 2 December.
Ahmad Al Matrooshi, MD of Emaar Properties, said: "The New Year's Celebrations 2012 is our tribute to the cosmopolitan spirit of Dubai. The spectacle has reiterated this city's position as one of the most sought-after destinations for New Year's celebrations."
The celebrations were telecast live to over two billion homes globally, putting the spotlight on Dubai and Downtown Dubai, the 500-acre flagship development of Emaar Properties.
The celebrations kicked off with the music-dance performances of The Dubai Fountain. Several firework displays across Downtown Dubai added to the excitement.
A countdown was beamed on large-sized screens located across Downtown Dubai one minute ahead of the New Year. With ten seconds to go for 2012, fireworks commenced the countdown, culminating in the grand finale which began from the top of the spire of Burj Khalifa at 828m, progressing downward to the base.
The fireworks display also marked the second anniversary of the inauguration of Burj Khalifa.The fireworks were choreographed to a specially-composed musical composition that integrated Arabic and world music.
Following the fireworks, the celebrations shifted to Burj Park, with the live performance of Deep Forest and solo violinist Diana Yukawa.
- UAE's EGA opens container terminal in Guinea
- Saudi: Construction sector poses risk to banks
- Siemens presents metro train to Riyadh authority
- Saudi Arabia tests rail link from Riyadh to border
- UAE: ALEC signs enterprise agreement with Aconex
- DLD: $43bn real estate transactions so far in 2016
- ConocoPhillips appoints new Qatar business head
- Qatar earth-moving equipment market set to grow 5%
- Empower launches mobile chiller trailers in Dubai
- KBW confirms two infrastructure projects in Jordan