Second anniversary of Burj Khalifa inaugurationby CW Staff on Jan 2, 2012
Brilliantly draping Burj Khalifa, the world's tallest building, in the colours of the UAE National flag, Dubai ushered in the New Year with a breathtaking display of fireworks that captivated the world.
The centrepiece of Downtown Dubai, the Burj Khalifa was fully illuminated in shimmering white, red and green hues, drawing on the colours of the UAE national flag, through the fireworks display. The celebrations were also a salute to the nation, which celebrated its 40th National Day on 2 December.
Ahmad Al Matrooshi, MD of Emaar Properties, said: "The New Year's Celebrations 2012 is our tribute to the cosmopolitan spirit of Dubai. The spectacle has reiterated this city's position as one of the most sought-after destinations for New Year's celebrations."
The celebrations were telecast live to over two billion homes globally, putting the spotlight on Dubai and Downtown Dubai, the 500-acre flagship development of Emaar Properties.
The celebrations kicked off with the music-dance performances of The Dubai Fountain. Several firework displays across Downtown Dubai added to the excitement.
A countdown was beamed on large-sized screens located across Downtown Dubai one minute ahead of the New Year. With ten seconds to go for 2012, fireworks commenced the countdown, culminating in the grand finale which began from the top of the spire of Burj Khalifa at 828m, progressing downward to the base.
The fireworks display also marked the second anniversary of the inauguration of Burj Khalifa.The fireworks were choreographed to a specially-composed musical composition that integrated Arabic and world music.
Following the fireworks, the celebrations shifted to Burj Park, with the live performance of Deep Forest and solo violinist Diana Yukawa.
- Omniyat to build $273m hotel project in Dubai
- Saudi Aramco consider new industrial city project
- RAK Ceramics wins global business awards
- Adnoc: Reduced diesel price poses a challenge
- Saudi's Abu Qafrh turns to tech for HR development
- Petrofac awarded $780m Kuwait EPC project
- Saudi's equipment rental market set for 12% growth
- Construction underway at Istanbul's third airport
- RTA appoints Aurecon for further road development
- Egypt completes $92m water santitation projects