More tenders up for grabs at Midfield Terminalby Michael Fahy on Nov 5, 2012
Around 18 new tenders for packages of works are expected to be issued in the coming months on the $3bn Midfield Terminal project at Abu Dhabi Airport.
In an interview with Construction Week, Aecom's senior vice-president and regional director for the UAE, Riad Nashif, said that construction work on core of the $3bn terminal by the Arabtec/CCC/TAV consortium began last month.
Aecom, which landed an $85m contract to oversee building of the Midfield Terminal in August, is responsible for construction management, surpervision and commercial management of the project.
"There are going to be maybe 18 more tenders for specific items such as baggage carousels and IT systems, and our role will be to manage that process,” he said.
Although he did not indicate when the process of issuing tenders would start, he said that a schedule had been agreed with client Abu Dhabi Airports Company and added that several suppliers "need to be brought on board so their requirements will be accommodated in the building".
The US-based consultancy is also currently working up designs for Abu Dhabi's $7bn Metro system, in partnership with consulting engineer Parsons Brinckerhoff. The Metro is a 131km network set to connect Abu Dhabi's central business district with Al Maryah Island, Reem Island, Saadiyat Island, Yas Island, the airport, Masdar, the exhibition centre and a series of other important parts of the city.
"We're currently just about to start stage two, which is preliminary design," said Nashif. "This extends for 60 weeks. Beyond that, there will be a stop point where we will present to the leadership and the client to decide what to take through and when," he added.
To read the full interview with AECOM's regional director Riad Nashif, pick up next week's edition of Construction Week.
- Dubai Ruler oversees DEWA-Masdar solar park MOU
- Emaar awards Dubai Hills PM contract to EllisDon
- Company formed to manage UAE Barakah nuclear units
- Switzerland opens world’s longest, deepest tunnel
- Midfield Terminal’s 319m steel structure completes
- How was Dubai's Burj Al Arab Terrace constructed?
- Ajman: 12 real estate projects to complete in 2016
- France approves 1,225kmph inter-city hyperloop
- Saudi-Canadian PPP to build $133m hospital
- Bahrain needs $795m to complete stalled projects