Video: Fatal multi-storey collapse in Ghanaon Nov 8, 2012
A multi-storey department store in Ghana's capital Accra has collapsed, trapping around 50 people and resulting in at least four deaths in what has been described as a national tragedy by the country’s president.
The government has declared the surrounding neighbourhood in the capital a disaster zone. Ghana’s Melcom group, the owner, has denied responsibility for the incident.
The BBC's Sammy Darko, at the scene, said that 42 people have so far been pulled out alive from the rubble.
Staff from the store have accused their managers of negligence in the lead up to the disaster, citing cracks noticed in pillars three days ago, and which supervisors said only needed plastering.
Melcom’s statement read: “A most unfortunate incident happened this morning. Our heartfelt condolences and deepest sympathies goes to the families of those who may have lost their lives.”