Video: Fire scours Tamweel Tower in Dubai's JLTby John Bambridge on Nov 18, 2012
A large fire broke out in the Tamweel Towers in Dubai in the early hours of the morning, causing residents to be evacuated. Officials have confirmed that there were no casualties.
According to eyewitnesses, burning debris was responsible for spreading the fire to different floors.
Members of the civil defense fire team present at the site explicitly blamed the flammable cladding on the building, which allowed the fire to spread rapidly up the building and set alight to the entire crown.
Three surrounding buildings were also evacuated, and residents milled below behind a security cordon.
Property developer Tamweel posted a statement on the Dubai Financial Market, thanking Dubai Civil Defense for containing the blaze and saying: "Our very highest priority is the safety and well-being of the residents."
According to Tamweel's website, the tower has 34 storeys, office and retail space, and 160 apartments.
To read the full story click here
- Tarsheed park due for openineg by year-end
- Qatar prepared for UN climate change conference
- New Kuwait labour law to ban passport confiscation
- Technology key for sustainability
- Data tech selected for $1bn Abu Dhabi Reem Mall
- Dubai Holding's arm posts 24% rise in H1 profits
- UAE's Rotana to manage two new hotels in Turkey
- Caterpillar could cut 10,000 jobs by 2018
- UAE ranks second in GCC in global innovation index
- Qatar's $40bn planned transport projects on track