Video: Fire scours Tamweel Tower in Dubai's JLTby John Bambridge on Nov 18, 2012
A large fire broke out in the Tamweel Towers in Dubai in the early hours of the morning, causing residents to be evacuated. Officials have confirmed that there were no casualties.
According to eyewitnesses, burning debris was responsible for spreading the fire to different floors.
Members of the civil defense fire team present at the site explicitly blamed the flammable cladding on the building, which allowed the fire to spread rapidly up the building and set alight to the entire crown.
Three surrounding buildings were also evacuated, and residents milled below behind a security cordon.
Property developer Tamweel posted a statement on the Dubai Financial Market, thanking Dubai Civil Defense for containing the blaze and saying: "Our very highest priority is the safety and well-being of the residents."
According to Tamweel's website, the tower has 34 storeys, office and retail space, and 160 apartments.
To read the full story click here
- UAE's EGA opens container terminal in Guinea
- Saudi: Construction sector poses risk to banks
- Siemens presents metro train to Riyadh authority
- Saudi Arabia tests rail link from Riyadh to border
- UAE: ALEC signs enterprise agreement with Aconex
- ConocoPhillips appoints new Qatar business head
- Qatar earth-moving equipment market set to grow 5%
- Empower launches mobile chiller trailers in Dubai
- KBW confirms two infrastructure projects in Jordan
- Caterpillar: New 320D2L excavator more efficient