Midfield Terminal to open in first half of 2017on Nov 20, 2012
RELATED ARTICLES: More tenders up for grabs at Midfield Terminal l Six UAE banks sign $1.08bn Midfield Terminal deal l Arabtec-led partnership secures Midfield finance
The new $3bn airport terminal for which construction has just begun at Abu Dhabi is set to open in the first half of 2017, says an official.
News agency Reuters said that Abu Dhabi Airports Company's deputy development officer, Daniel Molloy, told a conference that construction work on the 700,000 ft2 terminal would complete by the end of 2016.
Work by a trio of contractors including Arabtec Construction, Consolidated Contractors Co and TAV began on the site last month.
"By the end of the second quarter of 2017, we will be operational," said Molloy.
He added that passenger numbers at Abu Dhabi had increased by 20% on last year. Its three existing terminals have capacity to carry 12.5m passengers a year, but the new terminal will increase this by 30m.
In a recent interview with CW, the regional director of Aecom, Riad Nashif, said that 18 new tenders for products and services such as the IT infrastructure and the baggage reclaim system are set to be issued within the next few months.
Aecom is responsible for construction management and commercial management of the project.
- Bahrain needs $795m to complete stalled projects
- Designer picked for $1bn Bahrain Airport interiors
- Aldar's Abu Dhabi residential projects on track
- Saudi: $122bn worth of projects ongoing in Riyadh
- Krantz air outlets picked for Louvre Abu Dhabi
- Qatar Rail unveils Doha Metro, Lusail Tram designs
- 'Abu Dhabi project completions at 10-year low'
- FRHI to open four new hotels in ME over next year
- Tunnelling complete at Doha Metro 41km Red Line
- UAE: Akar completes landscaping at Palm Oasis Park