Midfield Terminal to open in first half of 2017on Nov 20, 2012
RELATED ARTICLES: More tenders up for grabs at Midfield Terminal l Six UAE banks sign $1.08bn Midfield Terminal deal l Arabtec-led partnership secures Midfield finance
The new $3bn airport terminal for which construction has just begun at Abu Dhabi is set to open in the first half of 2017, says an official.
News agency Reuters said that Abu Dhabi Airports Company's deputy development officer, Daniel Molloy, told a conference that construction work on the 700,000 ft2 terminal would complete by the end of 2016.
Work by a trio of contractors including Arabtec Construction, Consolidated Contractors Co and TAV began on the site last month.
"By the end of the second quarter of 2017, we will be operational," said Molloy.
He added that passenger numbers at Abu Dhabi had increased by 20% on last year. Its three existing terminals have capacity to carry 12.5m passengers a year, but the new terminal will increase this by 30m.
In a recent interview with CW, the regional director of Aecom, Riad Nashif, said that 18 new tenders for products and services such as the IT infrastructure and the baggage reclaim system are set to be issued within the next few months.
Aecom is responsible for construction management and commercial management of the project.
- DSE secures $36m project wins in Dubai & Abu Dhabi
- MEP Awards 2015: P&T lands Mechanical Project
- MEP Awards 2015: Arabian MEP in Sustainable prize
- Two quarries ordered to close in Fujairah & Ajman
- UAE's Aldar opens sales of $1m units at West Yas
- Oman-Saudi road completed using 95 Volvo units
- Tarsheed park due for openineg by year-end
- Qatar Rail learns from visting the Berlin Metro
- FAST Consortium announces Riyadh Metro milestone
- Data tech selected for $1bn Abu Dhabi Reem Mall