Shams 1 power plant wins Solar Project of the Yearby John Bambridge on Dec 9, 2012
Shams 1, a 100MW concentrated solar power plant in Abu Dhabi’s Western Region, has won the Project of the Year Award from the Emirates Solar Industry Association (ESIA).
The Masdar project, which is being developed in collaboration Abengoa and Total, is the largest solar power plant in the MENA region.
Locatied in Madinat Zayed, 120km southwest of Abu Dhabi, the plant extends over an area of 2.5 km², with a solar field consisting of 258,048 parabolic mirrors.
“We are delighted that Shams 1 has received such a prestigious award,” said Yousif Al Ali, general manager of Shams Power Company. “This demonstrates the leading role that Masdar plays in the region’s renewable energy sector and a realisation of the vision that our wise leadership has for renewable energy in the UAE.”
When it begins feeding power to the Abu Dhabi grid early next year, the plant can generate enough electricity to power 20,000 homes, and will offset 175,000 tonnes of C02.
Masdar also has several international projects around the world that are either completed or under construction:
- The London Array, UK, at 1GW is expected to be the world’s largest offshore wind farm.
- The 20MW Gemasolar project, Spain, is a concentrated solar power plant that produces electricity 24 hours a day by means of a pioneering energy storage technology.
- Valle 1 & Valle 2, also in Spain, are concentrated solar power plants that also each produce 50MW.
- Masdar’s Mauritania solar project will deliver 15MW – 10% of the nation’s electricity capacity.
- A six megawatt, eight-turbine wind farm in the Seychelles will also supply 10-15% of Mahe Island’s capacity.
Shams 1 will directly contribute to Abu Dhabi’s goal of providing seven percent of its energy capacity through renewable sources by the year 2020.
- ADFD to finance $40m Moroccan rail project
- Petrofac bags extension contract from Mubadala
- Qatar project opportunities worth $70bn
- Ashghal to complete major new roads in three years
- Emaar's Downtown cultural quarter moves on site
- Shams 1 power plant wins Solar Project of the Year
- $311.77m UAE housing scheme to be finished in 2014
- Deadline for Dubai Airport T2 project looms
- Oman construction sector fragile, says report
- $6b expansion plans for Dubai Airports