Home / My Career ... Ben Churchill
My Career ... Ben Churchillby Devina Divecha on Jan 2, 2013
RELATED ARTICLES: Facilities Management Middle East's Power 50: 1-10 l Facilities Management Middle East's Power 50: 11-20 l Facilities Management Middle East's Power 50: 21-30 l Facilities Management Middle East's Power 50: 31-40 l Facilities Management Middle East's Power 50: 41-50
Ben Churchill, managing director of Emrill, discusses his career in the FM industry.
How did you get into the FM industry and what attracted you to it?
FM is a massive industry. If you think of the number of buildings in the world — domestic, commercial or industrial — and the fact that they all need to be maintained, you realise the industry has a global impact.
There is a real opportunity to make a material and positive impact on the world and the environment, through technology and customer service. This was the challenge that attracted me to the sector.
What were you doing before your current position?
I was setting up a Carillion PLC subsidiary and operations in China, dealing with manufacturers and suppliers. The subsidiary currently delivers products and services to the UK, Middle East and other markets.
What’s the best thing about the industry?
The people and the opportunity to make a difference, first and foremost. Secondly, as an industry, facilities management is relatively immature and the opportunity to set the standards for FM services and delivering a challenging portfolio is exciting.
Advice for a young person starting out in FM?
Think differently, challenge procedures and don’t assume that just because it has always been done a certain way that it is right. Remember, the key to leading is allowing other people to perform and encourage those who work for you to make decisions themselves, recognise their successes and coach rather than criticise.
- 'Involving FM in GCC building design a challenge'
- Why is Masdar installing sensors in UAE mosques?
- How elevator sector is climbing to new heights
- FM Executive of the Year underscores quality costs
- Dulsco hosts HR roundtable in Qatar
- Farnek nabs electrical accreditation from NICEIC
- Hormann launches new line of internal doors
- Imdaad targets talent at Careers UAE 2016
- AESG launches HEPA filter testing service
- EmiratesGBC driving zero-energy buildings in UAE