Home / Engineering Genius: KLIA2
Engineering Genius: KLIA2on Jan 22, 2013
Work is continuing on Kuala Lumpur International Airport 2 – a new $1.3bn, 242,000m2 airport in the Malaysian capital which is been built to replace a temporary low-cost carrier terminal that has been in place for seven years.
The terminal is being built some 2km away from the existing Kuala Lumpur International Airport and will have a capacity to handle up to 45m passengers each year and is the biggest terminal being built in the region. It will serve as a hub for AirAsia’s operations.
The terminal is being built by a partnership led by Malaysian contractor UEM Group, which has said that it remains on track to complete on schedule despite the fact that it has had to contend with changing design requirements issued early on in the process by client Malaysia Airports Holdings.
It was initially set to open in April 2013, but June 28 has been set as the date for its official opening, as this was the day that KLIA held its initial opening ceremony in 1998.
The terminal will house a multimodal transport hub with links for buses, taxis and a dedicated Express Rail Link train from KLIA. It will have 60 gates, eight remote airport stands and 80 aerobridges.
Other facilities include parking for 6,000 cars, a semi-automated baggage facility, several hotels and a public shopping mall. A 300m-long skybridge will also link domestic and international terminals.
In total, KLIA2 will have 225 commercial outlets - 118 for retail, 81 food & beverage outlets and 26 for services.
- How was Dubai's Burj Al Arab Terrace constructed?
- Ajman: 12 real estate projects to complete in 2016
- Bahrain needs $795m to complete stalled projects
- Aldar's Abu Dhabi residential projects on track
- Saudi: $122bn worth of projects ongoing in Riyadh
- 'Abu Dhabi project completions at 10-year low'
- UAE Hyperloop system could be confirmed by 2020
- Dubai: Ailing Falcon City of Wonders back on track
- Construction begins on $1bn Reem Mall in UAE
- Leaders in Rail: Samer Tamimi, Hill International