Three killed in Egypt building collapseon Jan 24, 2013
An Egyptian security official says three people were killed including a 75-year-old woman when a two-floor building collapsed in Cairo, according to Associated Press.
The building, in Old Cairo's shantytown of Abu Qarn, fell apart when a cooking gas canister exploded on Wednesday, 23 January, the official said.
Rescue workers pulled three bodies from under the debris while searching for survivors. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the press.
Last week, 26 people died when their building was flattened in the Mediterranean city of Alexandria. Violations of building codes have been blamed.
The collapses could stoke criticism of President Mohammed Morsi's administration. Critics have accused the post-revolutionary government of failing to do more to reform the nation and fix public services.
- Big 5: RAKtherm announces $6m contracts
- $500m agreement signed for Egyptian plant
- Drake & Scull arm leads on $148m Egypt deal
- UAE signs $4.9bn aid deal with Egypt
- $283bn to be invested in MENA power sector 2014-18
- GCC govts to lead $898bn construction boom by 2020
- New office space causes Riyadh rents to fall
- Arabtec carries on regardless in Egypt
- Saudi firms win new Jizan deals worth over $18m
- EFS wins MENA FM contract with General Electric