Construction worker dies in Oman fireon Jan 24, 2013
An Indian construction worker has died in a fire at a labour camp in Oman.
Sohan Nishad, who worked as a watchman, died in at the camp, which was largely made of wood, after fire broke out on Tuesday at around 9am.
The camp housed around 35 people who were all working for United Golden Construction. A company employee told Muscat Daily that Nishad was sleeping when the fire started after finishing the night shift.
"He did not respond to repeated calls on his cellphone. The civil defence team found his charred body after the blaze was brought under control.”
Many of the other workers on the site also lost money and documents as a result of the fire. The cause of the blaze has not yet been identified.
- GCC mulls regional strategy for recruiting workers
- Construction Week Oman Awards 2015 entries open
- Qatar project opportunities worth $70bn
- Dropping oil prices will not affect Qatar
- Qatar tender postponement not an issue
- Qatar airport expansion plans revealed
- UAE students visit Japan for smart tech insight
- Omani contractors win Duqm PAC contracts
- Omanisation sees contractors struggle to recruit
- DEWA management team wins Gold Stevie Award