Construction worker dies in Oman fireon Jan 24, 2013
An Indian construction worker has died in a fire at a labour camp in Oman.
Sohan Nishad, who worked as a watchman, died in at the camp, which was largely made of wood, after fire broke out on Tuesday at around 9am.
The camp housed around 35 people who were all working for United Golden Construction. A company employee told Muscat Daily that Nishad was sleeping when the fire started after finishing the night shift.
"He did not respond to repeated calls on his cellphone. The civil defence team found his charred body after the blaze was brought under control.”
Many of the other workers on the site also lost money and documents as a result of the fire. The cause of the blaze has not yet been identified.
- Eaton appoints Frank Ackland as its Middle East GM
- New CEO appointed at The Wave, Muscat
- Atkins appoints new Oman chief
- Workers strike in Oman over pay and conditions
- Emaar's Downtown cultural quarter moves on site
- Oman turns to temporary power plant to meet demand
- CW Awards Oman: Richard Lisker PM award winner
- Four new Oman stadium projects tendered
- Contractors seek refund for Oman minimum wage hike
- Construction worker dies in Oman fire