Aldar opens mall at $1bn World Trade Center schemeby CW Staff on Oct 23, 2013
Aldar Properties has opened the new mall at its $1bn World Trade Center development in Abu Dhabi.
The mall is on the site of the former Central Market. It contains 85,000m2 of space and is linked via a footbridge to the 15,000m2 covered souk that opened in 2010.
Both buildings have been designed by Sir Norman Foster & Partners, and the main contractor for the wider World Trade Center development is Arabian Contracting Co.
The World Trade Centre Mall has more than 160 shops, over 20 dining outlets and an eight-screen cinema. House of Fraser has opened a flagship store at the developmemt, which is its first outside of the UK and Ireland.
Talal Al Dhiyebi, executive director of Asset Management at Aldar Properties, said: “The World Trade Center Mall is truly a modern interpretation of the historic experience of the Central Market area – one the first and richest heritage and commercial hubs in Abu Dhabi. It is a crucial component of the overall World Trade Center development and an important addition to Aldar’s diversified real estate portfolio in Abu Dhabi. This is yet another example of how the company aims to meet the growing need for high quality retail offerings in the heart of the capital.”
The mall opening follows the handover of the 278m-high office tower earlier this year to contractor Arabtec, which is housing its new joint venture with Samsung Engineering in the building.
A 382m-high residential tower, set to be the tallest building in the city of Abu Dhabi, and a new Marriott Hotel will complete the development.
- Inauguration of five oil tanker berth pipelines
- CW Awards: Yas Waterwolrd wins Hospitality project
- CW Awards: Al Salmy is Construction Exec of Year
- CW Awards: Contractor of the Year goes to ALEC
- CW Awards: Fares wins Project Manager of Year
- CW Awards: QOC wins Sustainability Initiative gong
- Deal done for $2bn Kuwaiti power and water plant
- CW Awards: ETA Star wins Sub-contractor of Year
- CW Awards: Qatar Foundation scoops H&S title
- CW Awards: Uni wins Commercial Project of Year