QOC appoints designers for Qatar sports facilitieson Feb 12, 2014
Grimshaw Architects has been selected by Qatar’s Olympic Committee (QOC) to design new sports facilities in four locations across the country.
The Al Farjan Playgrounds project, aimed at helping communities develop a healthy lifestyle through sport, will be available for public use in Al Khor, Al Rayyan, Bani Hajar and Bouzalouf.
Grimshaw Architects said the facilities for football, handball, basketball and volleyball, along with skateboard parks and running tracks, will be completed in three years.
“The Al Farjan Playgrounds project is specifically targeted at communities so that both Qataris and expatriates can access the facilities to play sports and lead a healthy lifestyle. Men, women and children can use the grounds for a wide variety of sports,” said Hamad Saleh al-Mohannadi, head of the QOC’s engineering projects department.
Grimshaw Architects said it has taken into account Qatar’s climate while designing the facilities, with the comfort of the public a priority.
The company said as heat often deters people from taking up sport, all facilities will be built using natural form and materials with landscaping and a canopy system cover to shade the playgrounds.
The design also uses collected water to help irrigate the landscape and creates evaporative pools to reduce percolation.
The Al Khor site is the largest of the four venues and will have an additional handball pitch and a larger skate park, as well as a jogging track. It will also have a convenience store and an enclosed cafe.
- How was Dubai's Burj Al Arab Terrace constructed?
- Ajman: 12 real estate projects to complete in 2016
- France approves 1,225kmph inter-city hyperloop
- Saudi-Canadian PPP to build $133m hospital
- Bahrain needs $795m to complete stalled projects
- Designer picked for $1bn Bahrain Airport interiors
- Aldar's Abu Dhabi residential projects on track
- Saudi: $122bn worth of projects ongoing in Riyadh
- Krantz air outlets picked for Louvre Abu Dhabi
- Qatar Rail unveils Doha Metro, Lusail Tram designs