Articles
Companies

Home / NEWS / BACS consortium gains 11,000 Riyadh Metro visas

BACS consortium gains 11,000 Riyadh Metro visas

by Michael Fahy on May 2, 2014




RELATED ARTICLES: Almabani plans to double revenues in five years | Staffing Riyadh Metro project no problem - Bechtel | Special Report: Riyadh Metro

RELATED ARTICLES: Almabani plans to double revenues in five yearsStaffing Riyadh Metro project no problem - BechtelSpecial Report: Riyadh Metro

The BACS consortium (Bechtel, Almabani, CCC, Siemens) building lines one and two of Riyadh Metro are to begin a huge recruitment drive following the groundbreaking ceremony which took place in the city last month.

In an interview with Construction Week, Almabani CEO Joseph Daher said: “We (the consortium) have so far secured approximately 11,000 visas, and this was the first batch provided to us by the Ministry of Labour. We expect a similar number, if not more, to be requested and awarded within a year. So this is only the start.”

Almabani expects to require around 5,000 of these directly. Daher described the Riyadh Metro win as “probably the biggest achievement that Al Mabani was able to reach after 40 years of hard work (and) dedication in the Saudi market.

“We are working hard with our partners to mobilise fast, design and start construction on the ground.”

The consortium expects to employ around 25,000 people during its four-year delivery.

“The good thing about this is there are a small number of contractors forming this consortium and this gives us a lot of added value and allows us to make fast decisions on all important matters,” said Daher.

He added that line one presented the most difficult task, particularly in the city centre along Olaya St where it will be tunnelling underneath “the busiest road in Riyadh”.

“That’s a big challenge – carrying out road detours to minimise the traffic impact on the residents of Riyadh.”

The interview with Joseph Daher will appear in issue 515 of Construction Week.



Advertisement




Articles
Companies