CW Awards 2015: 5 Minutes with Asif Khan, GENAVCOby James Morgan on Dec 8, 2015
Asif Khan, general manager of GENAVCO's plant and equipment division, discusses how 2015 has shaped up for the company, and outlines what he's looking forward to at the Construction Week Awards 2015.
1. Could you please begin by outlining how 2015 has shaped up for GENAVCO as Liebherr’s authorised UAE dealer?
We succeeded in concluding deals worth $8.7m (AED32m) for Liebherr earthmoving machines and cranes in the year 2015, our first year as Liebherr's authorised dealer.
Moreover, we are supporting around 100 existing Liebherr machines in the UAE for spare parts and services.
We have a dedicated sales, service, and parts team focussed on developing new customers and meeting the expectations of existing customers.
2. How are your operations organised in the UAE?
Currently, we are covering Dubai and Northern Emirates market from our head office in Dubai.
Other regions like, Abu Dhabi and Al Ain are covered by our Abu Dhabi Branch office.
3. Which UAE and GCC projects have GENAVCO and Liebherr supported during 2015?
Our Liebherr machines were in use on different infrastructure projects in Dubai, for earthmoving and levelling jobs for new private residential developments on Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Road.
Currently our machines are being used on Dubai Expo 2020 site.
4. How would you assess current levels of demand for Liebherr earthmoving equipment in the UAE?
Demand for earthmoving products has slowed down in the fourth quarter of 2015, and the beginning of 2016 is also not looking very positive.
However, we have started almost from bottom and our aim is to achieve 5% market share in the second year.
We need to work on changing the market perception to not just focus on initial buying price but the benefits on owing and operative cost.
We are confident that Liebherr and Genavco will turn it in their favour by providing top quality product at a competitive price, lower operating cost and excellent after sales support to the customers.
5. How do you and your colleagues expect sales to develop during the coming year?
We do not foresee growth in the UAE's earthmoving equipment business in 2016 as compared to 2015.
However, our focus is to increase our market share from the potential business volume in 2016.
From the very beginning, we have maintained stocks of Liebherr-recommended spare parts, and had started spare parts business even before we had received our first Liebherr equipment stock.
We have recruited additional service engineers trained on Liebherr equipment, and Liebherr had also provided extensive training to our service staff.
6. What are you most looking forward to at the Construction Week Awards 2015?
Genavco feels privileged to be associated with this prestigious awards ceremony.
It gives us an opportunity to present our commitment to the business in the midst of industry leaders.
We are looking forward to have an audience of the top players in the industry and showcase Genavco's and Liebherr's capabilities on the night.
- Abu Dhabi government enters Hyperloop agreement
- CW Awards 2016: Infra Project of the Year revealed
- ADFD to finance $40m Moroccan rail project
- Petrofac bags extension contract from Mubadala
- Caterpillar: New 320D2L excavator more efficient
- UAE: gasoline prices drop as diesel value rises 2%
- Qatar Uni to research uses for date palm waste
- 'GCC portable power to steadily grow in 2016'
- UAE fuel prices for January 2016 revealed
- CW Awards 2015: 5 Minutes with Asif Khan, GENAVCO