Construction underway at Bahrain Airport terminalby Neha Bhatia on Feb 8, 2016
Bahrain Airport Company confirmed construction works for a planned new terminal are underway at Bahrain International Airport.
Consequently, the airport's Car Park D will be closed starting 8 February, in order to allow construction activities progress smoothly.
The parking lot is scheduled for reopening on 20 February.
Last month, Bahrain's Ministry of Transportation and Telecommunications announced it will carry out an extension programme at the Kingdom's international airport.
Contracts have been signed to carry out the Airport Modernisation Programme at Bahrain International Airport, Kamal Bin Ahmed Mohammed, the country's transport minister, and Mohammed Al Binfalah, CEO of Bahrain Airport Company, said.
This includes the appointment of a main contractor for the $1.1bn (BHD414.1m) construction of a new terminal building, the main services building, and aircraft bay, to a joint venture between the UAE's Arabtec and Turkey's TAV Construction.
The announcement was made on the sidelines of the Bahrain International Airshow (BIAS) 2016.
In a statement released on 7 February, Bahrain Airport Company said it is working with its facility management arm, BAC Facility Management (BAC FM) in addition to key stakeholders at the airport, to ensure minimum disruption is caused to passenger movement and effective alternative parking solutions are implemented.
The company will also provide the 'Overflow' car park as an alternative to Car Park D, organise shuttle buses, and increase the frequency of pick-ups and drop-offs to allow for smooth passenger movement.
- UAE: ALEC signs enterprise agreement with Aconex
- Bahrain: Alba hands power station deal to Siemens
- KBW confirms two infrastructure projects in Jordan
- Sohar Industrial's $51m Phase 7 works 30% complete
- Dubai Industrial Strategy to add $45bn to economy
- Bahrain: New venture could revive stalled projects
- Minister says 105km Bahrain rail study due Q1 2017
- Saudi-Canadian PPP to build $133m hospital
- Bahrain needs $795m to complete stalled projects
- Designer picked for $1bn Bahrain Airport interiors