Doha Metro tunnelling reaches 77% completionby Kim Kemp on Feb 9, 2016
The tunnel boring machine beneath Doha, working on the Doha Metro, has come to the end of its 1.8km journey.
After an eight month journey, the tunnel boring machine (TBM) has reached the future site of the Doha Exhibition and Conference Center station, Doha News reported.
Gathered guests and Qatar Rail staff witnessed the ‘breakthrough’ in West Bay as the TBM named ‘Al Bidda’ emerged from the tunnel.
The milestone marks 77% of the tunnel excavation works, totalling 86.5km in length to date, according to a spokesperson for the national rail company.
An online map charting theTBMs' progress shows that there are still more than a dozen TBMs at work underground.
Tunnelling is slated to finish later this year, when focus moves to the task of track laying and installing the various mechanical and electrical systems needed to run the mass-transit system.
Therail project comprises three projects, including a long-distance passenger and freight line, planned to run from Education City to the Saudi Arabian border, and a light-rail transit system constructed in Lusail City.
The Doha Metro network will see a total of 37 stations and is expected to open to passengers in 2019 with four lines:
• The Red Line North, running from Lusail to Msheireb via West Bay;
• The Red Line South, running from Msheireb to Mesaieed, with a branch to Hamad International Airport;
• The Green Line, running from Al Rayyan Stadium to Msheireb via Education City; and
• The Gold Line, running from Villaggio Mall to the area around the old Doha International Airport, via Msheireb.
- Qatar earth-moving equipment market set to grow 5%
- Empower launches mobile chiller trailers in Dubai
- First lines of Doha Metro to be complete in 2020
- KBW confirms two infrastructure projects in Jordan
- Caterpillar: New 320D2L excavator more efficient
- Siemens raises outlook following quarterly growth
- Sohar Industrial's $51m Phase 7 works 30% complete
- Kalmar to supply tractors to Khalifa Port Terminal
- Levitating pods to revolutionise UAE transport
- Two-for-one offer on CW digital subscriptions