Liebherr crane erects five turbines in five weeksby John Bambridge on Feb 22, 2016
A wind farm in Germany has demonstrated the strength, versatility and efficiency of the 750t Liebherr LTM 1750-9.1 after a single unit erected five wind turbines in five weeks.
Contractor Kran Saller took delivery of its LTM 1750-9.1 at the Liebherr plant in Ehingen in summer 2014, and has since used the high-capacity, nine-axle mobile crane to erect wind turbines on a number of different wind farm projects.
For its latest project, Saller brought the crane from its headquarters in Deggendorf, Bavaria to the wind farm Dagebüll, Northern Friesland, close to the Danish border.
Once there, the Liebherr LTM 1750-9.1 was equipped with telescopic boom guying (rigging arms), a 15m-long V2 lattice boom extension, 35m-long luffing jib and 144t of ballast.
A total of seven components had to be installed on each turbine, but the heaviest load for the Liebherr LTM 1750-9.1 on the project involved the lifting of a rotor star weighing in at 61t that had to be installed at a hub height of 80m.
To carry out the lift, the mobile crane hoisted the load to a hook height of 90m, operating at a radius of 20.5m.
At an industry-wide level, the versatility of using an LTM 1750-9.1 with extension kits is increasingly replacing the Liebherr LG 1550 lattice boom mobile crane, which was previously used to erect and dismantle turbines.
Saller, which operates 29 mostly Liebherr mobile cranes, highlights the greater economy in driving and setting up.
Established in 1959, the contractor and attributes its steady growth to its partnership with Liebherr and its ability to provide customers with a modern fleet of mobile cranes.
Saller plans to open additional sites in Rottal-Inn and in Straubing in March 2016.
- PMV Power List 2016 — Part one: A-C
- PMV Power List 2016 — Part two: D-H
- PMV Power List 2016 — Part three: I-M
- PMV Power List 2016 — Part four: R-Z
- Ritchie Bros to auction 1,100 items in Sept, Dubai
- Qatar earth-moving equipment market set to grow 5%
- Liebherr’s VarioBase LTC 1050-3.1 proves popular
- RTA to reopen Marina roads along Dubai Tram
- Liebherr lifts eight-tonne, golden dome in Paris
- Caterpillar: New 320D2L excavator more efficient