Video: Storm causes construction chaos across UAEby Ashleigh McGinley on Mar 9, 2016
Severe weather has caused widespread chaos and damage across the United Arab Emirates over the last 24 hours.
Buildings, roads and airports have all felt the effects of the storm - as heavy rain led to a significant number of closures across the country.
The Gems American Academy school in Abu Dhabi was just one of the buildings to witness the full brunt of the extreme weather after its decorative facade covering the front entrance of the building collapsed.
Commenting on the incident, GEMS's statement said: “GEMS American Academy experienced an unfortunate incident on 8 March due to heavy rain when the decorative façade over our front entrance fell.
"Fortunately, no GEMS American Academy community members were injured in this incident, and personnel from the school responded immediately to ensure the safety of our students and staff.
"We are in the process of appointing consultants to conduct an independent review of the structure in order to complete the rectification programme."
A video posted on YouTube by 7DAYSUAE, shows some of the damage caused.
Another video in circulation claimed that a ceiling had caved in at Abu Dhabi airport. However, the airport denied any damage to the building.
In a press statement, Abu Dhabi Airports said: "Abu Dhabi Airports can confirm that there has not been any ceiling damage at Abu Dhabi International Airport.
"A video circulating on social media showing a ceiling collapsing was taken at Sky Park Plaza opposite Terminal 3, and not at Abu Dhabi International Airport.
"No one was injured and the ceiling is being repaired."
The storm sweeping across the country forced the Ministry of Education to announce the closure of all schools and universities on Thursday.
Flooded roods and cancelled flights have also caused havoc across the country.
- Sharjah gears up for GCC steel fabrication event
- UAE: Imdaad earns $136m in revenue for 2016
- Mirage, Lever to host talk on ventilated façades
- Abu Dhabi government enters Hyperloop agreement
- AkzoNobel launches new range of paints, primers
- Big 5: Aleris showcases anodised aluminium to GCC
- Big 5: Danube to expand into African markets
- ADFD to finance $40m Moroccan rail project
- Petrofac bags extension contract from Mubadala
- Construction prospects to be showcased in China