Saudi: Hotel construction boom led by Makkahby Ashleigh McGinley on Mar 23, 2016
The hotel construction boom is Saudi Arabia is being led by the holy city of Makkah, according to a new report.
Makkah is leading hotel development with 24,133 rooms currently in the construction pipeline.
Riyadh ranks next with 10,053 rooms - closely followed by Jeddah with 6,890 rooms under development
The majority of rooms are forecast to open over the next five years, according to the report by TOPHOTELPROJECTS commissioned by The Hotel Show Saudi Arabia 2016.
The report said Makkah is ranked second in the Middle East and Africa - behind only Dubai, which currently has 43,714 rooms in the pipeline.
"With the Abraj Kudai forecast to open in Makkah in 2019, adding 10,000 new rooms to the market, it is not surprising that Saudi Arabia leads the way in hotel construction," said Christine Davidson, group event director of the dmg hospitality portfolio, organisers of The Hotel Show Saudi Arabia 2016.
The Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group was highlighted as one of the top 10 international brands with the most projects currently under development throughout Saudi Arabia,
According to the report, it's pipeline includes two new hotels set to open in Makkah - Park Inn by Radisson Al Naseem Makkah and Park Inn by Radisson Aziziyah Makkah.
Basel Talal, district director, The Rezidor Hotel Group Saudi Arabia and general manager, Radisson Blu Hotel in Riyadh, said: "The evolution of religious tourism has been a priority for Saudi Arabia's Government over the past years and has resulted in considerable investment and interest from developers and operators alike."
- Emaar awards Dubai Hills PM contract to EllisDon
- Will Saudi introduce Dancing Fountains to Kingdom?
- Cayan's CMC Tower nears completion in Riyadh
- Dar Al Arkan to discuss housing with Saudi Govt.
- Pilgrims evacuated after fire in Makkah hotel
- Saudi Real Estate inks deal to build Riyadh hotels
- Company formed to manage UAE Barakah nuclear units
- Switzerland opens world’s longest, deepest tunnel
- Saudi's SABIC to build China petrochemical project
- Saudi: Test runs of 447km Haramain Rail train due