Burj Al Fattan to tender; Al Habtoor on verge of big winby Jamie Stewart on Dec 1, 2008
The tendering process for the Burj Al Fattan, the 96-storey tower that will replace the Oasis Beach Hotel in Dubai Marina, will begin in mid-December.
The plans have been scaled back from 106- to 96-storeys but, as reported in Construction Week in October, the tower will still set a precedent in Dubai for building to such heights adjacent to the beach.
According to reports, three companies have pre-qualified for the tender. These are Dubai- based Arabtec Construction, Kuwait-based Arabian Construction Company, and the Dubai-based Al Habtoor Engineering and South Africa-based Murray & Roberts joint venture.
The tower will block a substantial section of the sea view of many residents and tourists in the twin 51-storey Al Fattan Marine Towers, currently the tallest buildings in Dubai Marina.
The Oasis Beach Hotel is owned by Dubai-based developer Al Fattan Properties, which also owns Al Fattan Marine Towers.
Demolition of the hotel was due to be complete by the end of the year, but a source involved in the work told CW, “There’s no way I can see it being done in time.”
Meanwhile Al Habtoor Group chief executive Mohammed Al Habtoor told Construction Week last week that the firm was on the verge of announcing a mammoth US $2.45 billion (AED9 billion) contract win in Dubai.
“As the contractor, we have received a letter of intent,” Al Habtoor said. “All we need to do now is sign the agreement, which will happen soon.”
- Report: Qatar second in index for infra investment
- 'Saudi Binladin Group crisis will be resolved'
- UAE: Seven jailed for security breach at WFES 2016
- Saudi Binladin tells workers to 'quit or wait'
- Saudi Arabia local bond borrowing at all-time high
- Saudi Binladin Group lays off 77,000 workers
- Al Futtaim Engineering wins distribution award
- Exclusive: Saudi Binladin speaks out on job cuts
- Barwa Real Estate to invest $4.1bn in new projects
- Saudi: 100,000 low-income families to be housed