iPad to launch new 'App' for building designersby Conrad Egbert on Apr 7, 2010
Ian Keough, senior technical designer at international engineering consultancy Buro Happold, has launched the ‘goBIM’ App.
The tool enables Building Information Modeling (BIM) – the generation and management of building data using three dimensional, real time, dynamic building modeling software – to be viewed on iPhones and therefore in remote locations including on site.
The launch of the iPad, now commercially available in the US, is set to radically increase the power of App since designers will be able to view models on a much larger scale.
While there are several Apps that enable users to view three dimensional models goBIM will be the first iPad-compatible App to enable users to navigate models and review data tagged to model elements (such as materials, manufacturer information and volumetric information).
Ian said: “The majority of building designers still use two dimensional drawings to communicate design ideas and this can result in confusion and the waste of manpower and materials.
“While the new App is designed to increase the accessibility of three dimensional BIM, the launch of the iPad will unlock the potential of the App and help drive productivity in building design and construction.”
Ian is inviting building designers to try the App and provide feedback to help guide development of the tool and new functionality. He has also released an ‘application programming interface’ which allows developers to create their own exporters for any platform.
ahtram (Jun 6, 2010)
Chad Oistad (Apr 15, 2010)
James Kavanaugh (Apr 15, 2010)
George Tracy (Apr 14, 2010)
sally hunt (Apr 14, 2010)
Kip Eder (Apr 14, 2010)
Ty Keith (Apr 7, 2010)
Haresh Bakhru (Apr 7, 2010)
United Arab Emirates
- Deyaar: Record increase in net profits for Q2 2014
- QD-CPC announces new business division
- GCC govts to lead $898bn construction boom by 2020
- New office space causes Riyadh rents to fall
- Saudi firms win new Jizan deals worth over $18m
- EFS wins MENA FM contract with General Electric
- Norwegian innovators bags Kuwait waste sorting win
- Emaar's Downtown cultural quarter moves on site
- Empower expands Business Bay unit
- Cat dealer secures $700m funding, cites ME growth