The Middle East's five best green buildingsby Orlando Crowcroft on Jun 2, 2010
Green initiatives need grassroots knowledge in ME
| LEED ranks may extend to government infrastructure
| Building achieves LEED status at no extra cost
ESAB MIDDLE EAST OFFICE AND WAREHOUSE
Date of completion: 2010
Location: Jebel Ali Free Zone- South, Dubai, UAE
The new ESAB Middle East Office and Warehouse Facility in JAFZA is set to earn a LEED Platinum rating upon completion this month.
Thomas Bohlen, chief technical officer at the Middle East Centre for Sustainable Development (MECSD) in Dubai.
“The building is able to achieve a total energy reduction approximately 70% better than a conventionally designed office warehouse, by using solar thermal systems and lighting techniques. It is also includes an onsite water treatment plant.”
THE BEST BIT
“The best bit is the building’s solar thermal cooling system, which uses a roof-mounted solar tube collectors to provide hot water to six absorption units, that in turn provide cold water to air handling units on the roof. Cold air is then circulated through the concrete pre-cast, hollow core ceiling slabs of the office, providing cool air and radiant cooling. The way this system is woven into the building structure is a great example of how early commitment by the stakeholders to sustainability can make for a great building.”
THE BIG PICTURE
“This project has proven that even industrial buildings in the Middle East can be designed, constructed, and operated to the highest current standards of sustainability.”
- KSA: World’s largest maritime yard signs designers
- RNL hires director of architecture for MENA region
- CIC survey touts BIM as 'future of construction'
- Architect discusses design of Al Maryah Central
- Reem Mall secures Estidama 2 Pearl Design Rating
- GCC workforce demands more flexible office designs
- World’s first materials library to open in Dubai
- RICS and MECO to address office design in the GCC
- Designer picked for $1bn Bahrain Airport interiors
- The Big 5 to launch outdoor design and build show