Inaugural Construction Week Saudi Awards winners
Industry leaders recognised in first CW Design and Build Saudi awards
The winners of the first annual Construction Week Design and Build Saudi Arabia awards were revealed in an exclusive evening for the industry’s leaders in Riyadh last night.
Construction Week Design & Build Awards: Saudi Arabia 2010 was launched to celebrate the achievements of the best companies in the Kingdom’s construction and design sectors.
There’s no doubt as to the strength of the construction industry in Saudi Arabia, and this has been reflected in the amount of work contractors have been able to secure in the Kingdom, particularly during tough times in other parts of the GCC. Continued growth in the face of a sustained global financial slowdown has shown the industry’s strength.
The awards were sponsored by Drake and Scull, a company which itself has seen rapid expansion in the Kingdom over the past two years. Company CEO Khaldoun Tabari was present to congratulate winners on their success.
Top honours for Contractor of the Year went to Al-Muhaidib Contracting – a company that is has a diverse portfolio of projects not only at home, but throughout the GCC. The company is behind the Jeddah Gate office building F3; Hyatt Plaza Mall in Doha, Qatar; residential villa development for the Royal Commission of Yanbu; five major projects at the King Abdul Aziz University – including the Faculty of Environmental Design, library, classrooms and material lab; plus dozens of other projects.
The Industrial Group of the Year award was scooped by Al Zamil Industrial, and general manager Ajlan Al Ajlan accepted the award on behalf of the company. The Zamil Group Holding Company covers more than 60 sectors. It has a 12,000-strong workforce in more than 60 countries, vast manufacturing facilities and strong affiliations with international partners.
A special lifetime achievement award was presented to Talal Yousef Zahid, chairman of the Zahid Group – a family led group of companies that has played a pivotal role in the development of the Kingdom’s infrastructure. The company celebrated 60 years of partnership with construction and mining equipment manufacturers Caterpillar this year, and Zahid Tractor and Heavy Machinery Co. Ltd, which operates throughout KSA, is considered the group’s flagship.
The company also has a diverse portfolio of “customer centric solutions” to the construction, mining, oil and gas, agricultural, power generation, material handling, and transport industries. They are also involved in electricity and water generation projects, logistics, real estate development and travel tourism.
The full list of winners:
- Landscaping Company of the Year: Saudi Grass Growing and Landscaping Company
- Development Company of the Year: THABAT
- Engineering Consultancy Company of the Year: Abdulfattah Al-Mumen Consultants
- Architectural Company of the Year: Faisal Al Fadl & Partners
- Aluminum Manufacturing Company of the Year: ALUPCO
- PMV Concrete Specialist Award: Al Kifah building material Company
- Residential Project of the Year: Burj Rafal
- Product Innovation Company of the Year: Al Fares KB Cranes
- Facility Management Company of the Year: Busma
- Power and Energy Company of the Year: Al Fanar
- Material Supplier of the Year: CPC
- Industrial Group of the Year: Al Zamil Industrial
- Construction Contractor of the Year: Al Muhaideb
- Lifetime Achivement: Talal Yousef Zahid