Dubai replaces 400 water-flush urinals

Dubai Municipality takes lead in water, energy conservation

Dubai Municipality is flushed with success at its urinal-replacement project.
Dubai Municipality is flushed with success at its urinal-replacement project.

Dubai Municipality has replaced over 400 water-flush urinals with waterfree urinals in 45 locations in the emirate.

The project, carried out by Design International Selections (DIS), the Gulf representative of US-based Falcon Waterfree Technologies, was completed in two and a half months.

“Dubai Municipality is taking the lead in water and energy conservation. They are becoming significantly more proactive towards building a greener, more environment-friendly Dubai,” said DIS MD Leandro Bantug.

The project includes areas such as Zabeel Park, Jumeirah Beach Park, Creek Park, Mamzar Park, Mushrif Park and Safa Park as well as the fish, cattle, birds and fruit and vegetable markets. It also included Dubai Municipality headquarters.

About 60% of the retrofitted water-flush urinals used wall-mounted cisterns to flush, while the remaining 40% used individual sensor or manual flush valve mechanisms.

He adds that “because cisterns primarily use timing or float devices to flush, indiscriminate flushing is a normal occurrence. Water is flushed even when no one is using the urinal.”

James Day, GM of Smashing Cleaning Services, the UAE-based marketing and distribution partner of DIS, disclosed that, “with just this one project, Dubai Municipality can save over 52 million litres of water annually, in addition to maintenance cost reductions and no water leakage. That equates to savings of several hundred thousand dirhams a year.”

The Falcon Waterfree system consists of a urinal with a patented cartridge system that provides superior hygiene compared to water-flushing urinals, and odour-free operation.

Most popular

Awards

CW Oman Awards 2020: Meet the winners
A round of the thirteen winning names at the Construction Week Oman Awards 2020 that

Conferences

Leaders UAE 2020: Building a sustainable, 'resilient' infra
AESG’s Phillipa Grant, Burohappold’s Farah Naz, and Samana's Imran Farooq on a sustainable built environment
CW In Focus | Inside the Leaders in KSA Awards 2019 in Riyadh
Meet the winners in all 10 categories and learn more about Vision 2030 in this

Latest Issue

Construction Week - Issue 767
Sep 01, 2020