TAV Construction wins $800m airport hangar tender

Turkish group claims King Abdul Aziz International Airport contract

King Abdul Aziz International Airport is being expanded at a total estimated cost of $7.2bn.
King Abdul Aziz International Airport is being expanded at a total estimated cost of $7.2bn.

Saudia Aerospace Engineering Industries (SAEI) has awarded TAV Construction the $800m contract to design, build and operate an aircraft hangar facility at King Abdul Aziz International Airport in Jeddah.

The scope of the project covers the design and building of 11 aircraft maintenance hangars, and also ancillary buildings, an administration building, a closed carpark and aircraft parking aprons.

“We bring our airport experience to these partnerships, where design, airport special systems and airport readiness are of major concern. These are vital issues in bringing about the airport projects as per clients’ requests,” said Sani Sener, president and CEO for the TAV Group.

TAV Construction won the tender in a joint venture with Al-Rajhi Holding and Al Habtoor Leighton. The project is due to be completed in 900 days.

“The Aircraft Maintenance Hangars will be the largest and most advanced MRO facility in the region,” said Mr. Yusuf Akcayoglu, regional director at TAV Construction.

The project is formally known as the SAEI Aircraft Maintenance, Repair and Operation (MRO) facility.

It is designed to meet the MRO business needs for the next 20yrs of operation, and allows for phased construction to accommodate future capacity expansion requirements.

TAV has also recently been involved in works at the Midfield Terminal Building at Abu Dhabi International Airport, the New Doha International Airport, the Prince Mohammad Bin Abdul Aziz International Airport at Madinah and the Muscat International Airport Expansion.

TAV Construction is a Turkish contractor headquartered in Istanbul’s Atatürk International Airport. The TAV Group owns 58% of its construction contracting arm, while the other 42% is owned by Akfen Holding.

 

Most popular

Awards

CW Oman Awards 2020: Meet the winners
A round of the thirteen winning names at the Construction Week Oman Awards 2020 that

Conferences

Leaders UAE 2020: Building a sustainable, 'resilient' infra
AESG’s Phillipa Grant, Burohappold’s Farah Naz, and Samana's Imran Farooq on a sustainable built environment
CW In Focus | Inside the Leaders in KSA Awards 2019 in Riyadh
Meet the winners in all 10 categories and learn more about Vision 2030 in this

Latest Issue

Construction Week - Issue 767
Sep 01, 2020