Five tips for building a powerful personal brand
What is personal branding? Middle East jobs website Bayt.com explains.
Personal branding is an important and necessary way to stand out professionally and obtain not only your dream job, but various types of business opportunities. But what is personal branding? Middle East jobs website Bayt.com explains.
In a nutshell, personal branding is all about marketing your personality. It is about having a strong online presence on the web.
Trust us when we tell you that it’s very important. Just keep this in mind: According to the Bayt.com ‘Social Recruiting in the Middle East and North Africa’ poll (October 2014), 82.3% of employers in the Middle East research a candidate online before calling them for an interview. Indeed, having a strong personal brand will take you a long way in your job search.
Remember, an employer is more likely than not to search for you online, and you need to carefully create what the employer finds.
You need to differentiate yourself by every means possible to potential employers by getting referred, endorsed and ranked on key professional platforms like Bayt.com Specialties (in fact, 18% of employers say that they have hired candidates through professional platforms like Bayt.com Specialties).
Here are 5 tips to help you build a successful personal brand:
1. Create a professional online profile. Bayt.com helps you create a unique Public Profile where you can show potential employers what you’re really good at. In fact, when asked about the extent to which an online personal brand can help a career, an overwhelming 92% of respondents in the Bayt.com ‘Personal Branding in the Middle East and North Africa’ poll, September 2013, said that a public profile can help you get more interviews and grow in your career. Your Bayt.com Public Profile is very similar to an online business card, so make sure to have a professional one that truly reflects you in the best possible way. Keep in mind that employers most specifically look for candidates on the social platforms who have professional experience (23.8%), and industry knowledge and expertise (23.6%). They are also looking for candidates who will be a good cultural fit within their company (19.4%), whose profile demonstrates professionalism (16.9%), and who have an appealing tone of voice or method of communication (14%). Colleague testimonials are also considered important by 2.2% of respondents.
2. Grow your network. Connect with like-minded professionals in relevant online groups and in professional platforms such as Bayt.com Specialties where you can share content and professional insights and get recognition and endorsement.
3. Include a brief professional history. Be specific and clearly define your goals and objectives. Highlighting your accomplishments and key strengths will make you stand out from the crowd!
4. Add a professional photo. 80% of MENA professionals agree that a professional photo is important and affects how you are perceived online. So make sure to add a very professional one that represents you well.
5. Get recommendations. Asking someone for a referral or recommendation is one of the best ways to build up your personal brand. In fact, according to the Bayt.com “Modern Job Search in the MENA” poll, November 2013, 62% of employers in the MENA region say that online recommendations and endorsements are ‘very important’ when they make a hiring decision.
Finally, the person who’s looking at your CV will search for you online. Even if your CV is perfect, your career won’t go far without a professional online presence. So make sure to build a well presented professional one.