Dubai sets world record for largest vertical maze
Another Guinness World Record for Dubai. Details here, plus the city's list of other official records
Dubai has been officially recognised with another world record – the largest vertical maze ever created.
Al Rostamani Group’s Maze Tower has now been listed by Guinness World Records.
The tower, a 55-storey mixed use building completed in January 2012, is in the centre of Dubai Financial District.
The main feature is its intricate lines of balconies on the front and rear facades created in the shape of a maze.
Talal Omar, Country Manager for Guinness World Records MENA, said: "Guinness World Records is thrilled to recognise and honour the Al Rostamani Group on the creation of such an iconic and unique tower that has contributed to the growth and transformation of the region. It is through innovative projects such as The Maze Tower, that Dubai has earned itself the reputation of being at the forefront of design and development. "
The natural stones used throughout the Maze Tower were selected for their aesthetic and tactile appeal. The same stone, Brazilian Verde Bahia is used throughout the exterior.
A darker greenish hue of the building at its corner posts is achieved using a water jet treatment which creates an even, matt surface. The lighter hue used to emphasize the Maze is achieved using a flame technique that roughens the surface and creates a lighter, more reflective surface. The natural stone provides the organic warmth befitting the structure.
“We always wanted The Maze to look like it was carved out of one massive piece of rock; with the constant play of light and shadow to render it alive” said Hassan Abdulla Al Rostamani, vice chairman of the group.
The UAE holds 147 records, compared with 380 for the rest of the Middle East, and Dubai is home to the Middle East's only Guinness World Records office. Listed below are some of Dubai's most recent accolades. For a full list, click here
• The world's longest 22-carat hand-made gold chain measuring a total of 5.522 kilometres.
• The world's largest LED-illuminated facade', Burj Khalifa.
• The Stay Strong Campaign, set a Guinness World Record at Burj Park, by lighting 11,022 bulbs, which represented the number of Stay Strong app downloads in the UAE.
• General Directorate of Civil Defence achieved a new Guinness World Record by creating the world's largest flag made of pencils in December 2014. It used 1 million pencils to create 1000 square metre UAE flag depiction.
• The Rehlatna, or Our Journey, painting was named the world's longest graffiti scroll by Guinness. The image is 2.2454km long.
• 2139 Emirati students were involved in the setting of a new record for the number of people carrying a flag banner. The record was set on National Day in 2014. The flag was two kilometres long and five metres wide.
• 58 makes of car were involved in setting a record for the highest number of marques in a parade. The record was set at Meydan racetrack, and the cars had to complete a loop of 3.2 km to break the record.
• The record for the ‘largest bus mosaic’ was set in November 2014. 156 buses, 39 in each of the four flag colours, were used to create an image of the UAE flag.
• The world’s largest tennis ball mosaic was created in October 2014. The mosaic used 2327 balls and was installed at the Jumeirah Beach Hotel.
• Dubai set a world record for the largest sticky notes mosaic on May 2014. The mosaic used 300,000 sticky notes and was commission by the Dubai land department.
• More than 8675 diabetes screening tests clinched the title for such things for Dubai in May 2014.
• ADMA-OPCO holds the record for the most participants in an underwater clean up operation. 300 divers removed nine tonnes of waste at Abu Dhabi's Free Port.
• Two French daredevils broke a Guinness World Record for the highest base jump after leaping from the Burj Khalifa’s highest point in April 2014.
• The world's longest bridal veil measuring 5-km in length, weighing about 7kg, and embellished with crystals and pearls at its first 5 metres, was unveiled at the ninth edition of Perfect Wedding Show.
• The Dubai Health Authority holds the record for the largest number of medical professionals to take part in a marathon. 690 medical professionals took part in the 2014 Dubai Marathon.
• The Guinness Book of World Records officially certified the fireworks performance designed and executed by Fireworks by Grucci on New Year's Eve 2013 in Dubai as a World Record. The new world standard set by Grucci—which included some 479,651 choreographed firework effects —smashed the record previously held by Kuwait.
• Yas Waterworld set the Guinness World Record for the World's Largest Swimming Lesson. A record number of 777 swimmers participated in the winning lesson at the Abu Dhabi waterpark in December 2013.