Video: Crane collapse shows construction dangers
The Saudi Arabia Grand Mosque crane collapse that killed 107 people has exposed the dangers of the KSA's construction boom
The Saudi Arabia crane collapse that killed 107 people and left 400 others injured has exposed the dangers of the KSA's construction boom.
For years, Mecca’s residents have lived with unrestrained building and development work as leaders seek to expand the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Building work is evident almost everywhere in Mecca, with the Grand Mosque – where Friday’s fatal accident took place – currently undergoing expansion and renovation works to increase its capacity for pilgrims.
The video below, shows motorists taken by surprise as a building is demolished within close proximity of their vehicles.
This footage highlights the dangerous lack of security precautions adhered to during demolitions in the region.
The Grand Mosque crane collapse is thought to have been caused by strong winds and storms, which broke part of the Grand Mosque’s roof and caused rubble to fall on those praying.
Initial investigations have uncovered “no conspiracy” behind the crash, although an “in-depth inquiry will be carried out into the tragedy to reach a conclusion”, according to Daily Pakistan Global.
Saudi BinLadin Group, one of the largest construction companies in the Kingdom, has been suspended from taking on new projects following the incident.
A statement by the Saudi Government on Tuesday, 16 September, 2015, said the company’s operations had been halted until a review of all their work had been completed.
Pictures circulating on social media showed pilgrims in bloodied robes and debris from a part of the crane that appeared to have crashed through a ceiling.
This disaster is the latest in a series of deadly mishaps to hit the Hajj, one of the world’s largest religious gatherings, after hundreds of pilgrims died in a stampede in 2006.
An unnamed Saudi official involved in organising the Hajj was quoted by Al Arabiya as saying the pilgrimage would go ahead as planned.
“This incident won’t affect the haj pilgrimage this year and repairs to the damaged section (of the mosque) will begin within days,” the official reportedly said.