Built to inform

Sign up for the daily newsletters

No, Thank you

Dubai Police: Address fire caused by short circuit

The fire started in the cables of a spotlight between the hotel's 14th and 15th floors, a forensic team said

An electrical failure caused the fire at Downtown Dubai's Address Hotel. [Image: Getty]
An electrical failure caused the fire at Downtown Dubai's Address Hotel. [Image: Getty]

Dubai Police confirmed the fire at The Address Hotel in Downtown Dubai was started due to a short circuit spurred by an electrical failure. 

The hotel caught fire on New Year's Eve, hours before a fireworks show was due to start at the neighbouring Burj Khalifa.

A forensic team found an electric fault in a spotlight used to illuminate the hotel sent the hotel up in a blaze. 

 

According to Gulf News, "the blaze started in the cables of a spotlight on the ledge between the 14th and 15th floors of the 63-storey hotel".

Ahmad Mohammad Ahmad, head of the Forensics and Mechanical Engineering Department at the General Department of Forensic Science and Criminology of Dubai Police, released this information. 

While no deaths were caused due to the fire, up to 15 people were injured during the evacuation process. 

 

Most popular

Awards

Deadline approaches for CW Oman Awards 2020 in Muscat
You have until 20 January to submit your nominations for the ninth edition of the

Conferences

CW In Focus | Inside the Leaders in KSA Awards 2019 in Riyadh
Meet the winners in all 10 categories and learn more about Vision 2030 in this
CW In Focus | Leaders in Construction Summit UAE 2019
A roundup of Construction Week's annual summit that was held in Dubai this September

Latest Issue

Construction Week Middle East 11th Jan 2020
Jan 16, 2020