Qatar Rail's GRN-EAG unveils launching girder

Qatar Rail's Green Line celebrated the successful launch of its launching girder, one of five that will be deployed throughout the Qatar Rail project

There are a total of five launching girders to be used throughout the Qatar Rail project.
There are a total of five launching girders to be used throughout the Qatar Rail project.

The Green Line Elevated and At Grade project of the Green Line (GRN-EAG) celebrated the successful launch of its launching girder, as the first segment was lifted at 8.30 am on 14 February 2016.

The precast segment makes up one of 439 that will be used to construct the viaduct span.

The entire process is expected to take approximately eight months, with an expected rate of installation of 22 segments per week.

There are a total of five launching girders to be used throughout the Qatar Rail project.

The GRN EAG’s launching girder was manufactured by NRS AS, a Norwegian company that specialises in bridge construction equipment.

The launching girder spans 80m in length with a total weight of 381 tons of steel.

It is expected to assemble a total weight of 590 tons of precast segments per span.

Martin Staffel, Elevated Bridge Expert commented, “We’re delighted to reach this major milestone in the project.

"Working between two major projects, Mall of Qatar and Dukhan Highway, is challenging due to the very limited space and requires constant coordination.

"However, launching the girder is a great success and offer us greater confidence in our ability to deliver on time as scheduled.”

At present 25% of the viaduct has been complete, with 30% of the remainder will be cast in-situ and 70% will be precast segments.

The launching gantry installation was completed end of January 2016.

The GRN-EAG project of the Green Line emerges from underground at the Education City Trough and is the elevated continuation that runs parallel to Gharafat Al Rayyan, Dukhan highway through Al Riffa Station to Orbital Highway northbound.

The total project length is 3.2km.

The first phase of the Doha Metro project is expected to be complete in the fourth quarter of 2019, while completion of the Lusail Tram is set for 2020.

By 2030, all the three networks – Doha Metro, Lusail Tram and the long-distance rail, which will link Qatar with the GCC Rail network – are expected to be complete.

With the completion of the first phase of the Doha Metro and Lusail Tram, Qatar Rail expects to offer 600,000 passenger trips per day by 2021.

By then, 37 metro stations are expected to be complete, with an average journey time of three minutes between adjacent stations.
 

 

 

 

Most popular

Awards

Deadline approaches for CW Oman Awards 2020 in Muscat
You have until 20 January to submit your nominations for the ninth edition of the

Conferences

CW In Focus | Inside the Leaders in KSA Awards 2019 in Riyadh
Meet the winners in all 10 categories and learn more about Vision 2030 in this
CW In Focus | Leaders in Construction Summit UAE 2019
A roundup of Construction Week's annual summit that was held in Dubai this September

Latest Issue

Construction Week - Issue 765
Jun 29, 2020