Abu Dhabi invites bids for 350MW solar project

Pre-qualified bidders for the solar plant project in Sweihan are to submit their proposals, including power generation and development costs, by 19 September

A solar park will be built in Sweihan. [Representational image]
A solar park will be built in Sweihan. [Representational image]

Abu Dhabi Water and Electricity Authority (ADWEA) has reportedly invited bids from construction companies to build a 350MW solar plant in the capital.

The plant would be the Abu Dhabi power utility's first foray into renewable energy.

Construction firms which had been pre-qualified by state-owned ADWEA after expressing initial interest in the project were asked last month to submit proposals for the scheme, including the cost of generating power and financing its development, by 19 September, according to Arabian Business.

Last month, state agency WAM reported ADWEA would hold 60% of the project, with the remaining 40% being held by the chosen developer. 

ADWEA currently has 11 gas-fired, independent water and power projects. 

The project will be situated at Sweihan, around 120km east of Abu Dhabi.  

Most popular

Awards

Deadline approaches for CW Oman Awards 2020 in Muscat
You have until 20 January to submit your nominations for the ninth edition of the

Conferences

CW In Focus | Inside the Leaders in KSA Awards 2019 in Riyadh
Meet the winners in all 10 categories and learn more about Vision 2030 in this
CW In Focus | Leaders in Construction Summit UAE 2019
A roundup of Construction Week's annual summit that was held in Dubai this September

Latest Issue

Construction Week - Issue 765
Jun 29, 2020