Five minutes with: JK Cement Fujairah's CEO
Christer Eriksson, CEO, JK Cement Fujairah, tells CWO that the company is currently selling around 75% of its volume in the GCC
• How was business for JK Cement in the GCC in 2015?
JK White Cement started its commercial operations in March 2014 and since then it has witnessed a progressive drive.
The GCC is our core market and as new entrant our major focus is to increase our market share.
At present, we are selling around 75% of our volume in GCC.
• How has business for JK Cement been in the GCC so far in 2016?
The year of 2016 is in complete upward swing for us. To date, it has proved to be great start for us.
• I understand that your Fujairah plant is JK Cement’s first outside of India. Could you please explain why you selected the UAE for overseas expansion?
Fujairah, UAE operations is the company’s first overseas plant.
The strategic location of the country provides ease for connectivity between the west and east.
Also, the Middle East itself is among the world's largest consumer of White Cement and has the highest per capita consumption of White Cement.
The most important element is the availability of high grade limestone which makes the UAE the preferred destination to open up a plant.
• How has JK Cement’s Middle East business developed since the establishment of its Fujairah facility in 2013?
Since our establishment we have grown exponentially and are now doing business in more than 34 countries globally.
• Does JK Cement intend to open any other GCC facilities during the coming years?
We are open to opportunities in the GCC in a bid to grow our market presence - providing the market segments with the right toolbox of products and to continuously be competitive and to meet customer satisfaction.
• Does JK Cement intend to grow its GCC workforce during the coming years?
With a continuous growth in the market and exposure, JK Cement is bound to expandn its teams.
• What are your main priorities for the coming years?
We aim to gain access in more countries and also retain existing business by maintaining our operation excellence, long term sustainability, best product quality and our vision of 100% capacity utilisation by 2018.