30% of Mina camps tents air conditioners renewed

The upgraded air conditioning units are suitable for hot temperatures, as the Kingdom prepares to host pilgrims for Haj season in September

(Source: Al Jazeera)
(Source: Al Jazeera)

The public investment fund of Saudi’s Ministry of Finance has upgraded 30% of the old air conditioners in the camps at Mina,  the world's largest tent city. 

The new air conditioning units are suitable for hot temperatures, as the Kingdom prepares to host pilgrims for Haj season, which lasts from September 9 to September 11, Arab News reported.

Last year, the Haj and Umrah Research Institute tested the conditions of 260 air-conditioning devices provided by five different companies to select the suitable ones for the tents at Mina camps near Makkah. 

According to secretary-general of the Coordination Council for Domestic Haj Service Firms Jamal Shaqdar, the air conditioners will be included in 30% of the camps, while the remaining 70% of pilgrims might experience hot temperatures in the tents.

The council, he said, is holding a workshop in the next few days in cooperation with the Ministry of Haj and Umrah in hopes to find a temporary solution to reduce heat in the tents of the remaining 70%.

Last September, approximately 2 million people from more than 180 countries took part in the five-day pilgrimage.

Most popular

Awards

Deadline approaches for CW Oman Awards 2020 in Muscat
You have until 20 January to submit your nominations for the ninth edition of the

Conferences

CW In Focus | Inside the Leaders in KSA Awards 2019 in Riyadh
Meet the winners in all 10 categories and learn more about Vision 2030 in this
CW In Focus | Leaders in Construction Summit UAE 2019
A roundup of Construction Week's annual summit that was held in Dubai this September

Latest Issue

Construction Week - Issue 765
Jun 29, 2020