Minor fire brought under control at Dubai Marina hotel
The fire is said to have started after a cigarette butt was incorrectly discarded near Al Habtoor Hotel, and was speedily brought under control by authorities, with no injuries caused by the incident
A cigarette is said to have caused the fire that broke out at Dubai's Al Habtoor Hotel on Friday, 16 February, 2018.
The blaze is said to have started after a cigarette was thrown into a pot plant near the hotel, which is located in the Dubai Marina neighbourhood (pictured).
Dubai Civil Defence reportedly said the fire was 'minor', adding that no injuries were reported from the incident.
Rashid Khalifa Buflasa, director general for fire and rescue at Dubai Civil Defence, said the fire was instantly controlled.
Social media users are said to have praised authorities' response time to the incident, calling it "very fast and efficient", according to a report by Arabian Business.
Fire safety is among the top priorities of Dubai – and UAE – construction leaders.
In September 2017, Dubai's Real Estate Regulatory Agency (RERA) said it had started replacing building façades to improve fire-resistance in the emirate.
Key properties where RERA's programme was being implemented included Dubai Properties Group's Executive Towers, Vision Tower, and Bay Square developments, in the city's Business Bay neighbourhood.
The authority also urged all building owners to "replace non-fire-resistant building façades in collaboration with the city's real estate developers".
Through the programme, RERA, the regulatory arm of Dubai Land Department, said it was targeting façades that lacked necessary levels of fire-resistance.