Still no payment for Barwa subcontractors
Long-running dispute at Qatar site continues
Despite a promise to remunerate over 50 subcontractors working on a housing project in Qatar, Barwa Real Estate and Panceltica are still to pay up, according to a local paper.
Around US $33 million (QR120 million) is owed to subcontractors at the site, where work has halted despite the project being 95% complete.
The West Sailya affordable housing project was scheduled for completion this month, but a financial dispute between Barwa and Panceltica led to work being halted for several months. Barwa cancelled its deal with Panceltica earlier this month.
A Barwa company statement released on July 6 said that work would resume and that all the subcontractors would be paid, but a report from the Gulf Times daily said that has not happened yet.
“Barwa publicly announced on July 6 after meeting us on July 4 that the work will resume on the site next week while clearing our ‘certified invoices’,” an unnamed subcontractor with close to $824,000 in dues told the paper.
“Nothing concrete has happened since though we keep visiting the offices of Panceltica and Barwa,” he added.