Dubai's DP World acquires OSV firm Topaz for $1bn from Renaissance

Oman's Renaissance targets growth in services and FM businesses which are "less capital-intensive" following sale

Topaz has a fleet of 117 vessels.
Topaz
Topaz has a fleet of 117 vessels.

Dubai's DP World has fully acquired offshore support vessel (OSV) firm Topaz Energy and Marine Bermuda from Muscat Securities Market-listed Renaissance Services and Standard Charted PE Affirma Capital for $1.1bn.

Topaz operates a fleet of 117 vessels in the Caspian Sea, Mena, and West Africa regions.

As of 31 March, 2019, the company – which employs more than 2,500 people – had a contract backlog of $1.6bn and recorded consolidated revenues worth $349m in the 2018 financial year.

DP World’s acquisition of Topaz is in line with its startegy to invest in marine logistics companies with high revenue visibility, a consistent track record, and strong customer relationships.

Prior to Topaz’s acquisition by DP World, Renaissance Services held 86.5% of the firm's shares through its investment in Topaz Jafza, with the remaining 13.5% owned by Standard Chartered PE Affirma Capital.

Renaissance Services said in a missive to the Muscat bourse that it was entitled to receive a settlement from Topaz of an outstanding $78.6m (OMR30.2m) shareholder loan following the acquisition.

Commenting on the acquisition, group chairman and chief executive officer of DP World, Sultan Ahmed Bin Sulayem, said: “This acquisition complements the operations of our P&O Maritime Services business, which maintains over 300 vessels globally."

Renaissance Services' chairman, Samir J Fancy, added: "We acquired a small regional OSV player almost 15 years ago and transformed it into a global leader. 

"This transaction sets a solid platform for growth in our services solutions and facilities management businesses, which are less capital-intensive." 

Most popular

Awards

Deadline approaches for CW Oman Awards 2020 in Muscat
You have until 20 January to submit your nominations for the ninth edition of the

Conferences

CW In Focus | Inside the Leaders in KSA Awards 2019 in Riyadh
Meet the winners in all 10 categories and learn more about Vision 2030 in this
CW In Focus | Leaders in Construction Summit UAE 2019
A roundup of Construction Week's annual summit that was held in Dubai this September

Latest Issue

Construction Week - Issue 765
Jun 29, 2020