Saudi Binladin Group said to seek advisors for $30bn debt restructure

The Saudi Arabian contractor has issued RFPs to international advisors to reorganise $20-30bn of debt, Reuters reports

SBG is one of Saudi Arabia's oldest contractors.
CW Archives
SBG is one of Saudi Arabia's oldest contractors.

Saudi Arabian contractor Saudi Binladin Group (SBG) is reportedly seeking a financial advisor to restructure its group debt, which could be valued at $20-30bn (SAR75-112.5bn), in line with efforts to restructure the company that the Saudi Arabian firm is said to have taken a 36.22% stake in from Bin Laden family members. 

According to a report by Reuters, SBG has reportedly issued a request for proposals to a group of international advisors to reorganise the debt. 

A source told Reuters that the restructuring request "is likely to be met with concern by Saudi banks bruised by several multibillion-dollar corporate debt restructurings in recent years", adding that creditors were expected Saudi Arabia's Ministry of FInance to "revive" the company "with government loans". 

Its report added: "[Creditors] are wary of any sign of a similar outcome to a situation involving another construction giant, Saudi Oger, which required banks to make painful write-offs on their loans after a government effort to save the firm failed."

SBG's name was changed to Binladin Group Global Holding after the government-led restructuring effort, and the firm's 36.22% stake is reportedly owned by Istidama, a subsidiary of Saudi Arabia's finance ministry, with the remaining 63.78% held by Binladin Company for Development and Commercial Investment. 

Most popular

Awards

Deadline approaches for CW Oman Awards 2020 in Muscat
You have until 20 January to submit your nominations for the ninth edition of the

Conferences

CW In Focus | Inside the Leaders in KSA Awards 2019 in Riyadh
Meet the winners in all 10 categories and learn more about Vision 2030 in this
CW In Focus | Leaders in Construction Summit UAE 2019
A roundup of Construction Week's annual summit that was held in Dubai this September

Latest Issue

Construction Week - Issue 765
Jun 29, 2020