Khansaheb lists HSE Programmes at Wafi Mall extension, hotel project
EXCLUSIVE: Senior HSE officer, Sanju Thomas tells CW that the firm posted 7,472,380 safe man-hours at Wafi projects
UAE-based construction and facilities management firm, Khansaheb has revealed a list of health and safety environment (HSE) programmes that it has implemented at the Wafi Mall Hotel and VOX Cinemas projects in Dubai, which recorded 7,472,380 Lost Time Injury-free (LTI) man-hours.
Speaking to Construction Week, Khansaheb’s HSE officer, Sanju Thomas said that the company started recording safe man-hours for the Wafi project from 5 January 2019 to — the latest figure being calculated — on 6 February 2020.
Thomas pointed that during peak construction period in September 2019, the company had deployed 3,500 labourers on site.
According to Thomas the HSE programmes include.
- Betterment of the operative welfare facilities at the construction site
- Implementation of proper logistics plan for the project as well as managing all other contractors at the site
- Assigning K Standard for the site’s temporary electric set up, which included replacing 220v power tools with 110v power ones
- Implementing the K Standard edge protection policy for construction activities near lift shafts, services shafts, and floor openings
- A proper housekeeping system was also put into practice, which included assigning debris trolley on each floor and segregating construction wastes in assigned areas
- Implementing the Khansaheb Permit to Work System in for all the contractors working at the site
- Implementing the WES system at all levels of the development as per K Standard
Thomas told Construction Week that according to Dubai Municipality’s regulations, any building above 23m-height should have a permanent tower firefighting system activated. However, during an initial survey, the company’s MEP team found out that the system was only active up to level 17.
In order to solve the issue, the company installed a 500GPM fire pump feeding from level 18 to 41 and another pump of same capacity from level 42 to 51.
The 57-storey Wafi project in comprises private residences, and hotel rooms, as well as other public recreational facilities.
The project also includes the construction of the Wafi Mall extension, which includes a 15-screen VOX Cinema and Magic Planet, along with the new retail space including a Carrefour Supermarket that is linked to the hotel.