Podcast: V8 Architects on the Expo 2020 Netherlands pavilion design

EXCLUSIVE: The owner of the architectural firm, Michiel Raaphorst, talks about sustainability ahead of the Expo 2020 Dubai

The Dutch Pavilion is designed by V8 Architects
Twitter/ @DutchDubai2020
The Dutch Pavilion is designed by V8 Architects

The owner of the Netherlands-headquartered architectural firm V8 Architects, Michiel Raaphorst, has revealed details of the Expo 2020 Dubai's Dutch pavilion to Construction Week's editor Ashley Williams.

During the latest episode of the Construction Week Viewpoint podcast, Raaphorst highlights the sustainable design of the Netherlands’ Pavilion ahead of the Expo 2020 Dubai, which is set to begin on 20 October.

Listen to the entire conversation here.

Commenting on how the Netherlands Pavilion will tackle global challenges, Raaphorst says: “The Expo 2020 is all about finding answers and inspiration to overcome such challenges.”

He also says that people have “exploited the planet" and calls for the society to “restore the balance by producing more and consuming less.”

“This is possible by harvesting locally,” he adds. “A system to harvest water, energy and food can serve as a blueprint or inspiration for future generations.”

Commenting on the structure of the pavilion, he said: “Adhering to the Dutch style of civil engineering, we used locally available building and construction material. This way, 80% of our construction material, such as steel walls and sheet piling, was locally sourced. The remaining 20% of our building material is bio-based.”

Speaking about progress on the construction of the Netherlands' pavilion, he said: “We started very early. We had the time to develop radical concepts into permits. We expect to finish the superstructure by the end of this month or the beginning of February. The next step is to install the vertical farm and rain maker, as additions to the pavilion.”

As V8 Architects moves ahead in its preparations for the Expo 2020 Dubai, Raaphorst indicates a willingness towards continued work in the UAE.

“The region is very inspiring and we have been talking to several universities, developers, and real-estate agents to understand the construction and architecture scene in the UAE,” he adds.

Construction Week Viewpoint is a weekly podcast series produced by the Construction Week editorial team and published on SoundCloud and iTunes at noon (GST) every Monday.

Business leaders are regular podcast special guests. The weekly bulletin has welcomed the likes of Grant Porter, CEO of the Middle East and Africa for Atkins; Anthony Taylor, head of real estate for ENBD-Reit; Lee French, Cundall Middle East’s operations director; and tech entrepreneur Karim Helal, co-founder and chief executive officer of building portal ProTenders.

To volunteer yourself or a colleague as a guest speaker on Construction Week Viewpoint, please contact Ashley Williams.

Most popular

Awards

Deadline approaches for CW Oman Awards 2020 in Muscat
You have until 20 January to submit your nominations for the ninth edition of the

Conferences

CW In Focus | Inside the Leaders in KSA Awards 2019 in Riyadh
Meet the winners in all 10 categories and learn more about Vision 2030 in this
CW In Focus | Leaders in Construction Summit UAE 2019
A roundup of Construction Week's annual summit that was held in Dubai this September

Latest Issue

Construction Week - Issue 765
Jun 29, 2020